Maintaining the Integrity of Childhood
At Puss in Boots child care centre we believe that childhood is a unique time of life, to be valued and enjoyed in its own right. We strive to maintain the integrity of childhood by creating an atmosphere and environment where children can simply be children.
In our work with children we:
- Celebrate children’s play, discovery and learning by following their interests and expanding their knowledge and skills.
- Create a safe, welcoming and stimulating environment to encourage thoughtful and meaningful play in an atmosphere that is warm and supportive as well as fun, lively and energetic.
- Intentionally teach skills to foster resilience, a sense of belonging, self-worth, secure attachments and warm trusting relationships.
- Aim to achieve a sense of wonder, feeling of belonging to and love of the land, nature and animals, so that young children will develop lifelong respect, as well as positive and proactive attitudes to our environment, and a sustainable future.
- Acknowledge and encourage children to express their feelings.
In our partnership with Families:
- Honour and respect parents as their child’s first and most influential teachers
- Share knowledge and promote confident parenting
- Seek to develop and maintain positive relationships based on honesty, trust and respect, two-way communication and participation in service decision making and acceptance of feedback
- Respect and value the individual backgrounds and unique culture and customs of families
- Build genuine reciprocal relationships with families that are strengthened and sustained over time.
In our role as a community of learners we:
- Create positive environments that foster reciprocal learning between children, families and staff
- Advocate for children and families and promote sharing of information and expertise through incursions and workshops.
- Reflect on our practice, commit to continuous quality improvement, and support each other’s ongoing professional and personal development.
In our relationship with the community we:
- Connect children and families with each other and local child and family support services
- Share our knowledge and expertise with others
- Inform and influence government decision making
- Promote the value and contribution of our services within the broader community and the support of local charities.